Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cinnamon Vanilla - Bread Pudding

As I thought about the "bread pudding" this morning baking in the oven, I wanted to share this easy recipe with some practical tips on how to make it even more of an affordable idea.  My recipe came from my BHG Cookbook, and the only modification I would make to the recipe would be more sugar.  I had actually thought about sprinkling sugar over the bread crumbs before and after the liquid mixture.  Now I know I should have.

The ease of this recipe comes from its ingredients.  If you are not into the history of food, you may be less impressed, but I think the history of food adds to its appeal.  In this tough economy, not wasting food is very important for tight budgets.  I am always trying to find ways to use every bit of our food.  I had a couple of biscuits and 1 pancake left, so I decided to use them for the bread pudding.

Practical tips:  3 cups is about half a gallon.  Keep putting old bread in a gallon bag in the freezer until you have enough for your recipe.  Also, old cinnamon-raisin bread or the blueberry/cream cheese bread would add a very interesting flavor.  Also, the milk portion could be yogurt or buttermilk watered down if needed.  In a pinch, you could use canned or powdered milk.  There is no right/wrong with the ingredients as long as you use them in the right portions.

I have linked the recipe from the BHG webpage.

Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins(includes time to dry bread) Bake: 350°F 40 mins

Ingredients
  • 4 beaten eggs
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups dry  bread cubes
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries, or raisins (or nuts)
Directions
1. In a large bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, orange peel (if desired), and cinnamon. In an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish toss together bread cubes and dried fruit;**(sprinkle about 1/4 cup sugar over dried portion); pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture**(sprinkle about 1/4 cup sugar over dried portion). Press lightly with back of large spoon to moisten all bread.
2. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool slightly. If desired, serve warm.
3. Makes 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment