Sunday, January 1, 2012

Aprons - NYE Retro

I had to pause my "re-viewing" of Grey's Anatomy to begin my APRON posting.  I have loved aprons most of my life.........I know, I know........I can hear the feminists now screaming how aprons are a symbol of submissiveness or maybe even repression.  All political debates aside, the apron is truly an essential.  In the beginning of my early adult life, aprons had moved from decorative pieces to a basic white.  If you walk into some kitchen stores today, the basic white maybe the only apron you find.  Of course, there are those "manly man" aprons, you know "Kiss the Cook" and "BBQ King" kinds of aprons.


I decided a few months ago I wanted some retro I Love Lucy types of aprons to wear with my heels and pearls!!  LOL

My true inspiration came when I found a current pattern for vintage aprons at a Goodwill store for only $0.59.  I bought it and have wanted to begin work on a collection of decorative kitchen aprons.  Then, I stumbled on a slightly worn apron at a garage sale for a quarter that only needed a little mending and a good washing.  It soon became my pride and joy.



I have since made 2 aprons from re-purposing other items:  one was a child's size 6 sundress and the other a junior's halter top in a fashionable black/white print.  I actually wear an apron anytime I am in the kitchen cooking.

Today's project is the re-purposing of three items into aprons.  I have used the excess fabric from the original pieces for other projects.




1 comment:

  1. I like aprons too Stacci. I have my Mom's and my MIL's vintage aprons - ones that they wore for everyday. I still like to put one on when I am baking in the kitchen. Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing my post.
    Sandy at Teacup Lane

    ReplyDelete